Biscoff Upside Down Apple Torte
For a sophisticated dessert or brunch, try this torte. Everyone will ask for the recipe!
Recipe courtesy of Dimitri Messiaen for Lotus Bakeries
1. Heat oven to 350F.
2. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch nonstick round cake pan or coat lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
3. Finely crush cookies; set aside.
4. Melt butter; set aside to cool.
5. Peel and core apples; cut into thin slices and set aside.
6. Beat together eggs and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon.
7. Stir in butter.
8. Stir in flour and crushed cookies; mix well and set aside.
9. Cook remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small skillet over medium heat until completely melted and golden brown, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Immediately pour into prepared pan, tilting pan to evenly spread caramel.
11. Arrange apples in concentric circles over hot caramel.
12. Spread cookie mixture evenly over apples.
13. Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown and center is set.
14. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes.
15. Use a knife to loosen cake from edge of pan; invert onto a serving plate.
Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream if desired.
*Biscoff cookies are available in 8.8 oz packages or individual .5 oz two-packs at www.biscoff.com or through retailers nationwide.
**If self-rising flour is unavailable, use all-purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.